Social Platform for Jobs, Career, Online Mentors India, Mentor Monkey › Forums › Freelancing › Which is better 9-5 job or Freelancing?
MemberJune 28, 2021 at 6:48 am276Level 1
I am thinking of a job/career change. Do you guys think freelancing is a better alternative for 9-5 jobs?
MemberJune 28, 2021 at 7:11 am347Level 1
Hi @Ansh Switching from 9-5 to freelancing is not an overnight decision. Only if freelancing is paying you double of what you earn in your 9-5 job, you should choose freelancing as a prime career. Else, keep freelancing as your side hustle.
MemberJune 28, 2021 at 7:19 am266Level 1
Hi @Ansh . I think 9-5 jobs are better because they provide stable income to you, doesn’t require you to search for clients, doesn’t need your direct involvement. Freelancing as of now is booming in India but don’t make any sudden career changes without researching about it. Anyways, which is your go-to industry for freelancing?
MemberJune 28, 2021 at 8:01 am276Level 1
MemberJune 28, 2021 at 8:21 am266Level 1
As a freelance web developer you put yourself in a high value position. However, getting started with freelancing may be tough.
Check out this article: http://www.careerfoundry.com/en/blog/web-development/freelance-web-developer/
This will help you kickstart your freelance career in web development.
AdministratorJune 30, 2021 at 8:30 am566Level 2
Hi @Ansh Freelancing is certainly the new trend in the market. But, before going with the trend it’s important to know the pros and cons of freelancing as well. As you are considering website development as your core skill for freelancing.
1. Do research about the potential of this skill as a freelancer.
2. Do research about how to get clients in this field.
3. Do upskill your communication game as you will be dealing with clients on your own.
4. Do research about the market rates(Charges) for providing services in your industry.
5. Do build a portfolio that attracts clients.
What not to do?
1. Don’t charge your clients unnecessary high prices at first. Reasons being (1) You lack experince, (2) You will not be able to retain them for furthur projects.
2. Don’t charge too low as well, this will make your work feel less superior.
3. Don’t keep adding new clients every now and then, and ignoring the old ones. Retaining your old clients is a blessing in disguise.
4. Don’t take too much work at once and get stressed out when the deadline arrives.