You can make great strides in your career without spending long days and nights at the office. Advancing your career is the result of several small strategies. While none of these is likely to make a significant difference by itself, when combined, the results can be impressive.
Boost your career and increase your paycheck with these strategies:
- Be reliable. We’ve all worked with the employee that couldn’t be trusted. He was the one person that you knew wouldn’t be able to keep his promises. Avoid establishing a similar reputation. If you say you’re going to do something, do it. Be 100% reliable at all times.
- Be on time. Whether it’s for work or a meeting, always be on time. Do you control your time or allow it to control you? Avoid being too early for meetings. You’ll appear to have too much free time. Five minutes early is perfect.
- Always have your work done on time. Give yourself the opportunity to impress. If you can have something done by Wednesday, tell your boss it will be done on Friday and turn it in early. Consider that most people do the opposite and get themselves in trouble.
- Dress for success. Many promotions are given to the candidate that looks the part. Always dress up one level from your peers. Strive to dress like your boss. You’ll be surprised how much of a difference it makes.
- Keep your resume up to date. Keep your resume current. Spend a few minutes each month to add any new, relevant information to your resume. When a good opportunity comes along, you’ll be prepared!
- Reach out to recruiters. Most recruiters are paid on commission. If you let them know you exist, you can be certain they’ll call you when something suitable hits their radar. Many recruiters find potential job candidates via LinkedIn.com. Ensure you’re registered.
- Enhance your public speaking abilities. Few of us enjoy public speaking, but those with good presentation skills are in high demand. Since so few people have the courage to build their skills, it isn’t too challenging to become an effective public speaker. There isn’t a lot of competition.
- If you’re looking for a respected training program, Toastmasters International is hard to beat.
- Be indispensable. Some employees are so indispensable that the company goes out of its way to make them happy. Be sure your employer needs you. Find an important task and master it.
- Is your company looking for volunteers to learn a new software program? Are they looking for auditors? Is there an opportunity to take on additional responsibilities? Be sure any extra work is relevant.
- Is a long-time employee leaving? Maybe you can fill some of the gaps that are created by her departure.
- Find a mentor. The right mentor will take pride in helping you advance your career. A mentor can provide invaluable advice and introduce you to others who can be very beneficial to you. Many of the most successful corporate employees enjoyed the benefit of one or more mentors along the way.
Avoid following the herd at work. The average employee decides to do the minimal amount of work to keep their paycheque. It isn’t difficult to stand out from the pack by being a little more conscientious. Are you ready to take your career to the next level? Boost your career today by excelling at the little things. Find a mentor, too. You’ll be glad you did!