© 2021. Mentor Monkey. All rights reserved
How to hack your career to success?
PODCAST # 12
In the twelfth episode of the podcast, Aamir Qutub speaks about varieties of topics related to career and how one can achieve greater success.
Watch the video or keep reading below to find out how you can create a roadmap that will help you become successful in your professional life.
Here's the video
How to hack your career to success?
What type of business should I start? (2:30)
The right business depends on the capital you can invest, your skills and interests.
You may start a retail/wholesale shop, restaurant, coaching class etc. There are many options in front of you. So, before doing anything, ask yourself these questions, and you’ll find the answer to this question.
- Identify where your skill lies.
- What is it that you’re interested in?
What is the demand in a data science domain? (4:07)
DOWNLOAD THE CAREER BOOSTER TOOLKIT
Before you move on, download your copy of the Career Booster Toolkit.
Use this Toolkit to assess yourself and open up new opportunities, which you may not have noticed.
- Data Science, which deals with the exploration, analysis, modelling, and generation of meaningful information from data is the buzz word across industries. Organizations are increasingly recognizing that they are sitting on treasure troves of data. The immediacy to analyze this data and generate ROI is evident.
- A Data Science job is among the top-paying in the industry right now. According to Glassdoor, the national average salary for data scientist/analyst tops more than $62,000 in the U.S.
- In India, the experience strongly influences the pay. Those with the right skillset earn as high as 19 LPA (Source: PayScale).
The Need For Data Scientists (12:10)
- The need for data scientists is no longer restricted to tech giants.
- The Harvard Business Review had reported long back that, “Companies in the top third of their industry in the use of data-driven decision making were, on average, 5% more productive and 6% more profitable than their competitors.”
- This has finally led even mid to small startups to look towards data sciences. Many smaller firms look to hire entry-level data scientists at decent pay. This works well for both.
- The scientist finds a significant ground to hone his/ her skills while the organization can afford to pay lesser than what it otherwise would have to.
How to get an entry-level job in the data science domain? (12:10)
- For a starter, you need to have a degree. Any form of a post-graduate degree in a quantitative field gives you a pretty good chance of success, with Computer Science being the most-represented major.
- Overall, employers are looking for somebody with high-level coding, statistical, and analytical skills. But don’t worry if you aren’t a jack-of-all-trades.
- Usually, to land an entry-level data scientist job you don’t need to excel in all categories. Being okay in 2 of the 3 is fine, as long as you’re great at programming.
Best sources to learn digital marketing and content writing (11:00)
- There are many ways to learn digital marketing and content writing. But self-learning is the most efficient way of learning. Don’t trust any course or person you are going to buy from.
- Especially in this field, no one will reveal their successful strategies to you. To learn digital marketing and content writing, you can go through some Youtube tutorials. You can learn the fundamentals from there, without spending a dime.
- However, if you want to get a certificate or diploma, there are online courses available on the internet.
- After learning the skills, sign up on Fiverr or Upwork. You need to work on your skills by taking up projects. Only after putting your skills on work, you’ll be able to learn.
How to deal with a boss that under-appreciated you? (7:55)
- If your boss’s appreciation comes only after a job well done, you probably have nothing to worry about. If appreciation never comes, or not often enough, it may help to know that a sizable percentage of workers in one survey share your concern.
- In a report by Globoforce, specialists in worker appreciation, 39 per cent of employees reported feeling unappreciated at work, and more than half were dissatisfied with the level of appreciation shown.
- Use these tips with your boss to feel valued in your company:
- Talk to your manager and ask him what is his expectations from you, and what are the outcomes he needs?
- You need to introspect if you’re giving the right input or not —efficiency and effectiveness matters in work.
- Working in an efficient way that gives the correct output will make everyone around you appreciate you.
Wrapping it up
Feeling stuck in your career? Not sure what your next step should be? Or perhaps you’re starting a new job and want to know how to make a great first impression? No matter which pathway you choose, hurdles are inevitable. You can achieve greater success only by challenging those hurdles and overcoming them.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separately.